Sunday, September 6, 2009

Swine Flu Blues


Don’t get sick! Not if you can help it. My husband, Steve and I found that out the hard way this past week. Steve got sick and went to the doctor. Sounds simple, doesn’t it? Well it’s not. Swine flu has made things complicated. Before he even got to the doctor, my company nicely told me that I might need to stay home. I wasn’t aware of their swine flu policy since I am only into my second week of the job. I really didn’t think much about having to stay out of work. Swine flu was not even on my radar.

That all changed when we got to the doctor. See, where we live, since it isn’t flu season yet, if you can’t be diagnosed with anything definite, then you are treated for the swine flu. Blood tests aren’t given for H1N1 unless you go to the hospital emergency room. Just where every sick person wants to spend four or so hours—the ER. Not!

Steve’s doctor really thought he had pneumonia. Actually it seems he was pulling for it but when the x-rays were read, no pneumonia was detected. As a matter of elimination, Steve is being treated for the swine flu.
Not only Steve is being treated but I’m on medication too, as a preventive measure. The Tamiflu was expensive, even with insurance. I don’t know what people with children and no insurance will do when this flu gets cranked up in the schools. If his fever stays gone, I can go back to work after Labor Day. Steve may have to wait out his cough before being allowed back.

Keep in mind; we don’t know if Steve had the swine flu. We’ll still have to take the flu shots and I guess we really could have a confirmed case of swine flu later on. Who would have thought pneumonia would be preferred over the flu? I hope too many of you don’t have to experience the swine flu but if the media is to be believed, a lot of you will. You can get through it. Just keep humming the swine flu blues.

1 comment:

Dawn Bushman said...

I am so sorry to hear your husband has been sick. I came down with stomach flu just a week before the talk of the swine flu was coming out (I was sick the first part of April). They never checked either to see if it was swine flu or not. I just know I don't ever want to be sick like that again. No fun. I hope you guys will be better soon.

Take care,

Dawn